- RESPECT & REFLECT Respect yourself. Be honest, truthful, have accountability, be responsible, forgive yourself; Respect the mestre. Listen, reflect, think, think again. Respect others. Don’t be selfish, avoid judging, don’t compare, don’t undermine or underestimate others, be forgiving.
- PUNCTUALITY & PROMPTNESS Be on time (or perhaps before the class/workshop/event starts) Arriving to class earlier will help in many ways such as changing to training gear, paying for the classes, read new announcements, stretch, tune in to the mode of that day at the academy or connect with the instructors or students. Help in anyway needed if requested or if the common sense tells you to do so.
- CLEANLINESS Be clean and considerate (make sure to were clean capoeira attire, always clip your toe nails, cover any cuts or open wounds with appropriate first-aid dressings), maintain always-good personal hygiene. Never were street shoes in the academy. Never train with unwashed t-shirts from prior trainings. If you have any out of the norm condition that promotes strong body odors such as strong sweat, bad breath due to digestive issues, “chulé” smelly feet, take appropriate measures to minimize or solve it. Otherwise you may get a nick-name from it…
- ASSIDUOUSNESS Be assiduous, have assiduity, be dependable, consistent, reliable, coherent, trustworthy, responsible, assertive and liable. Set good example and be diligent.
- CONSCIOUSNESS Welcome newcomers and help beginners when needed. Be conscious, courteous and thoughtful. In our group everyone can help anyone. Potentially the hierarchy or belt ranking will be a determining factor to who needs more or less help. Remember that at any Mandinga school you are allowed to do a mistake! Motivate and encourage yourself and others to perceive improvement and change what needed in order to promote such improvement and growth and maintain the standards of our capoeira lineage.
- INFORMATIVEness Communicate all that is necessary to the person in charge. Announce the instructor in class if you need to leave the room or leave the class even if the official class time has passed. Advise any or all our teachers of any physical limitations or personal concerns that you may have in regards to the activities you are requested to perform.
- DISCIPLINE Have the capacity to be organized and consistent in order to achieve a particular goal and to pursue towards it with method, criteria and perseverance. Bare in mind some of the basic things a student needs to have in order to obtain a successful learning:
Be willing Have the spontaneous desire to learn, and the capacity to overcome the obstacles found through out the learning process.
Be focused Concentrate and try to understand the teaching.
Be dedicated Consider how much, how intensely and how frequently you practices regardless of the barriers or difficulties found in your way.
Be persistent Know that you will be involved in training for a long time.
Be patient Have the capacity to accept your own learning pace and let go of the frustrations and expectations, accepting who you are and trusting the process.
Be grounded Set realistic goals, be cohesive and willing to re-set the goals if needed.
- FUNDAMENTALS Train the fundamentals and keep in mind the TCRR rule (Teach, Correct, Remind and Reinforce). Teach and Correct the beginners, Remind and Reinforce the intermediates and advanced students. Persist in practicing the basic.
- CARE-NESS Take good care of yourself (rest well, eat well, give yourself treats), have fun and create joyful experiences. Know that you are capable of what you want as long as you really want what you are capable.
- SHARE-NESS Share your happiness, your knowledge, your skills and your positive experiences with everyone. Share your frustrations, your concerns and your fears with a selected number of people that you trust and feel comfortable with: your friends, training partners or colleagues may help, but are not your therapist.